Heavy Industrial Engineering and Construction – the First Steps Towards Producing Value
Alberta is a leader in heavy industrial construction to deliver value-generating plants and facilities. Our seasoned construction and engineering firms are integral to the success of major capital projects and the province’s resource economy.
During the two decades ending in 2017, Alberta engineers and constructors delivered about $200 billion of built assets for the electric generation, oilsands mine, upgrader and petrochemical industries. During those overheated years, much attention was given to budget overruns, but it is equally notable that the projects had consistently strong safety records and were generally fit for purpose at startup. These projects included many world-scale megaprojects which honed the capabilities of Alberta design, procurement and construction teams. The breadth and depth of Alberta experience and expertise allows our companies to understand and manage the complexities of the major capital projects at all stages of development in order to bring value to our clients. In recent years, as the construction economy has returned to a more normal state, budget and schedule performance has improved (see success stories, below).
Key Sector Advantages
- Seasoned project managers and construction managers
- Certified and experienced construction trades workforce
- Large, mature community of general contractors and EPC firms
- Track record of stable and productive labour relations
- Established fab yards, module yards, heavy load corridors
- Highly collaborative industry on common issues re: safety and productivity
- Strong working relationships with regional and international centres of excellence